“Art should never try to be popular. The public should try to make itself artistic.”
- Art is individualism, and individualism is a disturbing and disintegrating force.
- Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.
- Art never harms itself by keeping aloof from the social problems of the day: rather, by so doing, it more completely realises for us that which we desire.
- Art should never try to be popular. The public should try to make itself artistic.
- As long as a woman can look ten years younger than her own daughter, she is perfectly satisfied.
- As long as war is regarded as wicked, it will always have its fascination. When it is looked upon as vulgar, it will cease to be popular.
- Bad people are, from the point of view of art, fascinating studies. They represent colour, variety and strangeness. Good people exasperate one’s reason; bad people stir one’s imagination.
Leave feedback below about how to improve it. Submit your Answer or Question. Was this article helpful?
Login or SignUp to reply Comment (or) Comment Anonymously.