“Be passionate and move forward with gusto every single hour of every single day until you reach your goal.”
- Artists should be free to create what we want. I believe there’s a special value in work that is a reflection of oneself as opposed to interpretation. When I see a film or a TV show about black people not written by someone who’s black, it’s an interpretation of that life.
- As a filmmaker, you put the film out there, and you just want it to be okay. You don’t want to let people down; you don’t want to embarrass yourself.
- As long as you’re in an environment where the worth of the project isn’t based on the project but what its predecessors did, it’s not truly inclusive.
- Be passionate and move forward with gusto every single hour of every single day until you reach your goal.
- Creativity is an energy. It’s a precious energy, and it’s something to be protected. A lot of people take for granted that they’re a creative person, but I know from experience, feeling it in myself, it is a magic; it is an energy. And it can’t be taken for granted.
- Diversity is not one in the room. Diversity is not two in the room. Diversity is not three in the room. True diversity is half the room.
- Especially when we’re dealing with issues of race, culture, identity, and history, the time has passed for the ‘white savior’ holding the black person’s hand through their own history.
Comments: Login or SignUp to reply comment. Leave feedback below about how to improve it. Was this article helpful?