“I don’t know how much longer I’ll be around. I’ll probably be writing when the Lord says, ‘Maya, , it’s time.’”
- I created myself. I have taught myself so much.
- I did work in a strip club, but I didn’t strip. I danced, and I became very popular.
- I do like to have guns around. I don’t like to carry them. But I like – if somebody is going to come into my house and I have not put out the welcome mat, I want to stop them.
- I don’t know how much longer I’ll be around. I’ll probably be writing when the Lord says, ‘Maya, , it’s time.’
- I don’t think there’s such a thing as autobiographical fiction. If I say it happened, it happened, even if only in my mind.
- I find in my poetry and prose the rhythms and imagery of the best – I mean, when I’m at my best – of the good Southern black preachers. The lyricism of the spirituals and the directness of gospel songs and the mystery of blues are in my music or in my poetry and prose, or I missed everything.
- I got my own back.
Leave feedback below about how to improve it. Submit your Answer or Question. Was this article helpful?
Login or SignUp to reply Comment (or) Comment Anonymously.