“I refuse to allow any man-made differences to separate me from any other human beings.”
- I never had that feeling that I had to carry the weight of somebody’s ignorance around with me. And that was true for racists who wanted to use the ‘n’ word when talking about me or about my people, or the stupidity of people who really wanted to belittle other folks because they weren’t pretty or they weren’t rich or they weren’t clever.
- I promised myself that I would write as well as I can, tell the truth, not to tell everything I know, but to make sure that everything I tell is true, as I understand it. And to use the eloquence which my language affords me.
- I read the Bible to myself; I’ll take any translation, any edition, and read it aloud, just to hear the language, hear the rhythm, and remind myself how beautiful English is.
- I refuse to allow any man-made differences to separate me from any other human beings.
- I respect myself and insist upon it from everybody. And because I do it, I then respect everybody, too.
- I speak a number of languages, but none are more beautiful to me than English.
- I speak to the black experience, but I am always talking about the human condition.
Leave feedback below about how to improve it. Submit your Answer or Question. Was this article helpful?
Login or SignUp to reply Comment (or) Comment Anonymously.