“I started by producing, and the rapping came second to that, because I wanted to fill out the beat.”
- I like to rap about things that are funny but mostly things that are relatable. I remember there was this one song with Ja Rule, and I forgot, exactly, but it was with Ashanti, and there’s a line in it that was like, ‘She hit me up on AIM.’ But that wasn’t the actual line; it was something else, but I was like, ‘Oh my God, he uses AIM!’
- I really like gross Chinese things.
- I remember watching Margaret Cho with my grandmother on TV. She was my hero, not only because she was funny, but because she showed me that it’s okay to be yourself, that it’s okay to be a brash yellow girl and to be a strong and brave woman.
- I started by producing, and the rapping came second to that, because I wanted to fill out the beat.
- I started with me as Awkwafina reciting ‘Othello’ monologues, and I’d send those to my friends. It started like that, and then it went into more music-y stuff.
- I studied my craft at the same place as Nicki Minaj.
- I think it’s important for people to understand that as a woman, I can only rap about the parts I have.
Comments: Login or SignUp to reply comment. Leave feedback below about how to improve it. Was this article helpful?