“My mother is from Compton, California, but my father is from Hayneville, Alabama, and that’s less than 20 miles from Selma.”
- It’s not enough even to have one black Barbie… because black women are not a monolith.
- Many hated ‘Selma.’ Just because my voice and the voice of the people I come from is antithetical to so much of what Hollywood produces. I don’t think what I’m saying is in particular radical or anything; it’s just different from what they want to sell.
- My interest as an artist is to illuminate the lives of black folks. I definitely am focused on films that illustrate all that we are and all our nuance and all our complicated beauty and mess, and when you’re telling those stories, you gotta have black actors.
- My mother is from Compton, California, but my father is from Hayneville, Alabama, and that’s less than 20 miles from Selma.
- My next project is ‘Venus Vs,’ which is a documentary that follows tennis star Venus Williams and her effort to get equal-award pay for women at Wimbledon. Most people don’t realize that Venus fought for years to make sure women and men winners of that tennis championship received the same amount in award money.
- Nonviolence is pretty ballsy, pretty advanced weaponry.
- Oh gosh, I’m completely allergic to historical dramas. Particularly those around the civil-rights movement. It’s not my favorite thing to watch. So often they feel like medicine. Or not even a history lesson, because I really like history. Just… obligatory.
Comments: Login or SignUp to reply comment. Leave feedback below about how to improve it. Was this article helpful?