- Food simply isn’t important to me.
- I always feel the movement is a sort of mosaic.
- I have joined the ‘suffragettes’ – the militant party on the woman suffrage question.
- I know my father believed and my mother believed in and supported the suffrage movement, and I remember my mother taking me to suffrage meetings held in the home of a Quaker family that lived not far from us.
- I never doubted that equal rights was the right direction. Most reforms, most problems are complicated. But to me there is nothing complicated about ordinary equality.
- I read just endlessly, ceaselessly, almost every book, it seems!
- I think if we get freedom for women, then they are probably going to do a lot of things that I wish they wouldn’t do. But it seems to me that isn’t our business to say what they should do with it. It is our business to see that they get it.
- I think that American women are further along than any other women in the world. But you can’t have peace in a world in which some women or some men or some nations are at different stages of development. There is so much work to be done.
- I will settle down & teach for the rest of my days.
- It has become impossible to forget ‘votes for women,’ just as it was impossible to forget the reformation of Luther.
- It is better, as far as getting the vote is concerned, I believe, to have a small, united group than an immense debating society.
- It may be an instinct, it is with me anyway, when you’re presenting something to the world, to make it as beautiful as you can.
- It occurred to me that I just didn’t see how I could go ahead and continue to eat meat. It just seemed so… cannibalistic to me. And so, I’m a vegetarian, and I have been ever since.
- It was a feeling of loyalty to our own sex and an enthusiasm to have every degradation that was put upon our sex removed.
- Mr. President how long must women wait to get their liberty? Let us have the rights we deserve.
- The President can pardon us again… and again and again, but… picketing will continue, and sooner or later, he will have to do something about it.
- The Woman’s Party is made up of women of all races, creeds and nationalities who are united on the one program of working to raise the status of women.
- The building up of a new, far-reaching system of inspection on the question of equal pay, with power to investigate every business in the United States, administered by a colossal new government agency with vast enforcement powers, would not be helpful to women, as far as I can see.
- There will never be a new world order until women are a part of it.
- This world crisis came about without women having anything to do with it. If the women of the world had not been excluded from world affairs, things today might have been different.
- To me, it was shocking that a government of men could look with such extreme contempt on a movement that was asking nothing except such a simple little thing as the right to vote.
- Too many terms corrupts politicians so they only want to be reelected.
- We women of America tell you that America is not a democracy. Twenty million women are denied the right to vote.
- When you put your hand to the plow, you can’t put it down until you get to the end of the row.
- When you’re young, when you’ve never done anything very much on your own, you imagine that it won’t be so hard.
Quotes by Alice Paul
Quotes by Alice Paul